TRAVEL – Information & Guidelines
Benefits of travel tournaments for National, Regional and Club Plus teams:
- Teach athletes time management skills.
- Teach athletes to be productive team members while traveling in a competitive environment.
- Teach athletes to handle the rigors of a competitive schedule—a must for players considering a collegiate career.
CLUB TONKA GUIDELINES FOR TOURNAMENT TRAVEL
National, Regional and Club Plus teams travel either regionally or nationally during their season. All transportation costs for your player to all tournaments, whether local, regional or national, is the responsibility of the parents. Parents are responsible to get their player to the hotel, by the team meeting time, designated by the coach, and also between the hotel and the playing venue. If a parent is unable to attend a travel tournament they must make arrangements with another family to host their daughter for the duration of the tournament.
NOTICE – Weather Guidelines
If Club Tonka cancels any scheduled playdate, or practice due to weather, the head coach will be contacted by the Club Tonka office and notice will be communicated, through TeamSnap, to the families by the head coach. Players are always excused from any scheduled event that their families feel are unsafe to travel to, whether or not the event will occur as scheduled. On rare occasions, while traveling to or from a play date or team practice, weather may become an issue. Safety is our first concern! In the event that Coaches have made a decision to depart a tournament, or a practice, for safety reasons, the team will not continue to play.
Information to be reviewed to make travel trips safe and successful
- Travel dress code is for all players to dress appropriately and modestly. Nice casual always works and can include jeans. Warm-ups can be worn on return trips.
- Athletes will be courteous and respectfully obey all staff members. This includes coaches, chaperones, and/or other adults traveling with the team.
- Athletes should never be alone at any time when traveling. Chaperones will initiate a buddy system—never be anywhere (not even your hotel room or going to the lobby) without a buddy and let the coach and chaperone know your whereabouts at all times.
- Athletes may not leave the hotel area at any time without permission from their head coach and chaperone. The head coach and chaperone should know where all athletes are at all times.
- Club Tonka policy does not allow male, non-family members, to attend travel tournaments.
- Athletes must lodge with their team. Club Tonka reserves a parent block for parents who attend over-night tournaments – this information is sent out to parents from the office well ahead of the tournament – parents use this information to make their own accommodations. Please do not ask to have your athlete stay in your hotel or room. The exception to this may be where a Parent is lodging with their player in the case of a medical need.
- All drivers of players are responsible to transport those players during the entire time of the travel event including to and from the playing venue. Club Tonka players are not allowed to drive on their own to over-night tournaments.
- All travel families must pay the chaperone ahead of the tournament date for their portion of the food budget.
- An athlete who damages any property at a lodging or playing facility will be personally responsible for damages.
- An athlete found in possession of alcohol, tobacco or illegal drugs will be sent to local police department immediately and the parent or guardian will be contacted. The coach will contact the Club Director and appropriate action will be taken. This violation usually results in dismissal from the Club.
- An athlete who disobeys any one of the travel rules may be sent home immediately at the expense of the parent or guardian. Violation of any travel rule may also result in the athlete being asked to leave the Club, depending on the evaluation of the incident by the Club Director, which will take place immediately after the trip is completed.
- Members of the opposite sex (with the exception of coaches and fathers) are not allowed on the same floor of Club Tonka players.
- Players may bring extra money for souvenirs, entertainment and extra food not provided by club allowances. Extra scheduled activities are determined by chaperones, coaches and parents.
- Electronics – Electronics are allowed on travel trips. However, all electronics will be collected at lights out, and returned to the player the next morning. A power strip may be brought by the Chaperone to accommodate charging of electronics.
- Chaperones & Coaches determine curfew time.
- Travel fees are borne by the entire team members regardless of their attendance at the travel event.
- If flying, place all playing gear in a carry-on in case of lost luggage. All baggage fees are the responsibility of the parents. All parking fees at hotels or venue sites are the responsibility of the parents. Work at ride-sharing.
What to Bring
Team items: all team uniforms, warm-ups, sweatshirts, travel bags, volleyball shoes, knee pads, all braces, plenty of socks and a refillable water bottle!
Personal hygiene items needed: deodorant, shampoo, bar soap, toothpaste, sun block etc.
Medical items: medications, Tylenol, Advil, feminine hygiene products etc.
Comfortable clothes for sightseeing trips, shopping, browsing around hotel or eating out.
2-3 large plastic Ziploc-type bags to place dirty/wet clothes and for trip home.